Get Your Best Malaysia Passport Photo
Professional validation. Doorstep delivery. Unbeatable prices.
How to take your own biometric photo
Get the perfect biometric ID photo in 3 minutes or less.
Check out just how easy it is!
Take or upload a photo
First, snap a photo or upload one from your device. Our photo editing tool will help you frame the picture correctly.
Get your photo fine-tuned by AI
Next, AI fine-tunes your photo by adapting the background to meet all requirements. It also crops and resizes the image.
Let our experts verify the pictures
Finally, one of our experts carefully verifies the picture against official requirements. You get the feedback in under a minute.
Enjoy your new photos
Your 100% compliant photos are ready for instant download. You can also order printouts and get them delivered to your door.
Tips for taking your own biometric photos
Follow these steps to get the best results
Mind the distance
Pose 4–6 feet (1–2 meters) from the camera. Use a timer to take your photo or have someone snap it for you.
Face the camera directly
Keep your head straight. Avoid tilting your body or looking away. Remember: portrait mode is not suitable for any ID photos.
Ensure good lighting
Take your photos in daylight e.g., next to a bright window. Shadows on your face or in the background are not allowed.
Malaysia passport photo in a nutshell
Is it suitable for online submission?
Is it printable?
Need more details? Read the information below
What are the Malaysian passport photo requirements?
To apply for a Malaysian passport, you’ll need 2 biometric photographs compliant with specific official requirements. Here’s a list of passport photo requirements Malaysia provides:
- Size: 35x50 millimeters
- Background: plain white, no visible objects in the frame
- Recency: no older than 6 months before submitting your application
- Face: fully visible, looking directly at the camera. You can smile as long as the mouth is closed
- Make-up: your passport picture must reflect your natural look. So, wearing light make-up, such as eyeliner, is allowed as long as it doesn’t distort your look
- Alterations: no retouching or removing the red-eye effect. The photo must represent your current, natural look
- Lighting: no shadows on your face and no reflections in the background. Avoid using flash
- Head dimensions: your head should take up 50–60% (25–30mm) of the entire photograph, with a 10mm border between the edge of the image and the top of your head (same applies to the margin between your chin and the bottom of the image)
- Beard: only if you wear it naturally
- Accessories: only religious headwear allowed
- Glasses: only if they don’t cover the eyes and no glare is visible
- Clothing: dark-colored attire is recommended. Any clothing exposing your shoulders or chest is unacceptable
Creating an image compliant with these Malaysian passport photo requirements is the first step to getting your application accepted. Still not sure how to get the right shot? Or what passport size photo Malaysia requires in inches? Read on to learn more details about the official guidelines.
Malaysia passport photo size in cm, inch, and pixel
The photo size is crucial while taking a valid biometric picture, and the official specifications provide the passport picture size Malaysia accepts in millimeters. But if you plan on submitting your image online, the Malaysia passport size photo in pixels is worth knowing. Have a look at the table below to ensure the right passport size photo dimensions Malaysian authorities require.
Malaysia Passport Photo Size
In millimeters (mm)
35x50 mm (high/wide)
In centimeters (cm)
In inches (in)
In pixels (px)
Note: You don’t need to worry about the Malaysia passport photo size requirements. Our Malaysia passport photo app will instantly and automatically resize your picture to fit the official guidelines!
What should you wear for a Malaysian passport photo?
Not sure what dress code is allowed in passport photos? The official requirements provide several tips on what you should wear in a Malaysia passport photo to avoid your application being rejected. Here’s a list of dress code rules:
- No jewelry, such as earrings, is allowed
- Any pieces of clothing with open shoulders (tank tops) are unacceptable
- Dark-colored and modest attire (such as a collar shirt) is recommended to contrast with the white background
- Headwear and hair accessories aren’t allowed, except for the hijab. Religious headwear shouldn’t cover your face
- If you want to wear your hair loose for a passport picture, make sure it’s kept away from the face and doesn’t cover your ears
- Prescription glasses are allowed, but only if your eyes are still visible. However, it’s generally advised to take them off for a passport picture or use contact lenses
Take a look at the examples of acceptable Malaysian passport photos in this blog to make sure you got it right!
Note: Don’t know how to get the perfect white background? Our Malaysian passport photo app will do it for you! This AI-powered tool will remove the background to comply with the official requirement.
Guidelines for a baby’s Malaysian passport photo
Biometric photographs for children under the age of 4 must follow the exact Malaysia passport photo requirements mentioned above without exceptions. For example, it must:
- Have the required Malaysian passport photo size
- Have proper lighting (no shadows, glare, or reflections)
- Show the baby’s face with open eyes and a closed mouth
Taking passport pictures of your children to tick off all Malaysia passport photo requirements can be challenging. While keeping a straight pose, open eyes, and closed mouth is not a problem for an adult, it’s hard for babies. Our Malaysia passport photo editor will help you avoid stress. Take as many shots as needed without leaving your home!
Malaysia passport photo: digital & printouts
Whether you apply for a Malaysian passport online or on paper, you need a compliant, high-quality passport photo. Our services cater to both scenarios.
If you want to apply online, you only need a digital picture. Our photo editor will process your image in a matter of minutes. After that, you’ll receive your biometric passport photo Malaysia accepts in your email inbox.
When applying by post, you have two options. You can either order photocopies we’ll print for you on a high-quality paper or print them yourself. We recommend printing passport photos in reliable stores. Look at a list of the best locations to print passport photos.
Note: Would you prefer an app for Malaysia passport photos? Scroll down to read about our mobile photo editor, available for iOS and Android!
Get your Malaysia passport size photo in 3 minutes!
You can get a passport photo Malaysia will accept at a professional studio or a photo booth nearby. In some places, such as the US, it’s also possible to find pharmacies and retail stores offering photo-taking services. But finding the right place isn’t always convenient or possible. So, where is the best Malaysian passport photo studio nearby?
In your pocket.
No need to remember all Malaysia passport photo requirements. Create a digital Malaysia passport photo ideally suited for your application type. Download our Malaysia passport photo app (available on iOS and Android) and see how quick and simple getting a biometric photograph for your future passports is!
Get a photo for your passport or other documents
Pick your document and get started now
Explore popular documents around the world