Get Your Best Chinese Passport Photo
Professional validation. Doorstep delivery. Unbeatable prices.
How to take your own biometric photo
Get the perfect biometric ID photo in 3 minutes or less.
Check out just how easy it is!
Take or upload a photo
First, snap a photo or upload one from your device. Our photo editing tool will help you frame the picture correctly.
Get your photo fine-tuned by AI
Next, AI fine-tunes your photo by adapting the background to meet all requirements. It also crops and resizes the image.
Let our experts verify the pictures
Finally, one of our experts carefully verifies the picture against official requirements. You get the feedback in under a minute.
Enjoy your new photos
Your 100% compliant photos are ready for instant download. You can also order printouts and get them delivered to your door.
Tips for taking your own biometric photos
Follow these steps to get the best results
Mind the distance
Pose 4–6 feet (1–2 meters) from the camera. Use a timer to take your photo or have someone snap it for you.
Face the camera directly
Keep your head straight. Avoid tilting your body or looking away. Remember: portrait mode is not suitable for any ID photos.
Ensure good lighting
Take your photos in daylight e.g., next to a bright window. Shadows on your face or in the background are not allowed.
Chinese passport photo in a nutshell
Is it suitable for online submission?
Is it printable?
Need more details? Read the information below
What are the Chinese passport photo requirements?
Whether you want to renew your passport or apply for the first time, you need to attach 2 biometric pictures meeting all Chinese passport photo requirements. The list below compiles all government regulations your biometric picture must follow:
- How many passport photos: 2 (only 1 for online submission)
- Size: 33x48 mm
- Background color: plain white background or off-white (photo edge not allowed)
- Head positioning: looking directly at the camera (read more about head size below)
- Face: neutral facial expression, with open eyes, closed lips, and visible ears
- Alternations: not allowed. Your biometric China passport photo must render your true skin color and your natural look
- Quality: image must not be under- or overexposed, no red-eye effect or shadows. Take a photo in natural daylight
- Glasses: you can wear glasses (read more about exceptions)
- Make-up: allowed (more details on guidelines below)
- Head coverings: not allowed except any headwear for religious purposes
- Attire: not specified, but dark or light blue colors are recommended. Avoid plain white clothes
Note that the guidelines above are identical to the Chinese visa photo requirements. So, if you plan to take biometric pictures for that document, simply follow the mentioned specifications to ensure your visa photo meets the guidelines.
Do you need more details on the requirements? Read on.
Chinese passport photo: size requirements
Traditionally, China passport photos are measured in cuns. But if you want to take passport pictures abroad, knowing the Chinese passport photo size in inches or centimeters will save you trouble. Especially for those residing in the US this information is crucial, as the standard China passport passport and visa photos can't be in a 2x2 size.
The table below gives you size specifications for any measuring unit you’ll need when taking biometric pictures for your Chinese passport renewal or first-time application.
China Passport Photo Size
In millimeters (mm)
In centimeters (cm)
In inches (in)
In pixels (px)
Note: Did you know that the Chinese visa photo requirements are the same? With our app, you can take your passport and visa photos in one go!
Chinese passport photo: head dimensions
The size of your picture isn’t the only guideline to note. If you’re applying for the first time or for a Chinese passport renewal, you must follow the additional photo parameters:
- The required width of the head must be between 15mm and 22mm
- The height of the head must be between 28mm and 33mm
- The distance between the upper edge of your head (including the hairline) must be between 3mm and 5mm
- The required length from the bottom of your chin to the edge of the image must be 7mm or more
If you’re not sure whether the head dimensions of your photo comply with these regulations, consider using a China passport photo app (read more to find out!). Our photo maker has an in-built Chinese passport photo template to ensure your official biometric photo meets the requirements of the Chinese authorities.
Or, look at our overview of acceptable and unacceptable biometric photos.
Chinese passport photo requirements: make-up, glasses, and head covering
Before you take your China passport photo or one for a Chinese visa, you may need additional information to ensure the image you create is acceptable.
In this section, you can find a few tips on wearing make-up or glasses in your biometric photograph.
- Make-up: you can wear make-up for your Chinese passport picture. However, remember that the image must represent your natural look and all facial features. Passport and visa pictures with heavy eyeshadow or foundation changing your natural skin color will result in rejection.
- Glasses: you can wear prescription glasses without thick-rimmed frames or tinted lenses. Double-check if there’s no glare in the image, your eyes are fully visible, and the eyebrow line isn't covered. You can't wear sunglasses.
- Headwear: hats, caps, and any other fashion headgear are unacceptable. Only headwear for religious reasons (e.g., hijab) is allowed. But remember that your entire face must be visible.
Are matte or glossy photos allowed for Chinese passports?
Chinese passport photo requirements include technical specifications on printed biometric pictures. All photos you attach to the application form must be printed on high-quality photo paper. Note that only glossy paper is allowed (no matte or plain paper).
Although it’s often recommended to print photos for official documents only at a professional studio, it’s not the only option. Many pharmacies and convenience stores in the US let you print a biometric photo conveniently. For example, you can read more about CVS Chinese passport photo printing services. Or, if you’d prefer a professional service, you can order printouts in our Chinese passport photo app in a few clicks!
Note: Want to take a Chinese passport photo online? Our Chinese passport photo checker will crop and resize your picture to fit all passport photo size requirements.
Do Chinese passport photo requirements also apply to visa photos?
Yes. All mentioned regulations are the same for passport and visa photos. So, once you take a passport picture, you can use it for your visa application.
Get a photo for your passport or other documents
Pick your document and get started now
Explore popular documents around the world